If you are a Johnson County resident or business, you must use the Iowa City Landfill. Visit their website here.


Hazardous Materials

We provide a drop-off program for Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) to Iowa County residents at no charge. Drop-off is available during normal business hours Monday - Friday only. Please call if you have a large load or questionable materials.



Commonly accepted items include:


  • Cleaners and disinfectants

  • Lawn and garden chemicals

  • Oil-based paint and stain

  • Motor oil and filters

  • Antifreeze  $1/gallon
  • Rechargeable batteries

  • Fluorescent bulbs (>10 is $1/bulb)
  • Fluorescent ballasts ($10/each)


Please dry your latex paint and dispose of it in your garbage. Please dispose of alkaline batteries in your garbage.


We do not accept ammunition, explosives, radioactive materials, or medical waste.


We do not accept hazardous materials from businesses. Please contact the Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency at (319) 377-5290 to determine eligibility for the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program. If you do not qualify for the VSQG program, contact a hazardous waste disposal company.


If you need technical assistance in identifying or complying with regulations for hazardous materials, you can contact Susan Johnson at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources at susan.johnson@dnr.iowa.gov or (515) 217-0872.


Or, if your business has less than 200 employees, you qualify for a free and confidential environmental consultation with the Iowa Waste Reduction Center. More information is available here.